Hey Clay County! I hope you are all staying warm out there. This is the last commission update of 2018, so let’s jump right in.
December Commission Update Meeting 12/03/2018
New Position Opening for the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority
There is an opening for a position with the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority (KCATA). The commission will choose three candidates for this position, and the mayor will elect one person for the position. So far, the commission has nominated Kevin Koster, Louie Wright, and the third is still being decided. (Update: The third candidate from Clay County is Kevin Corlew.)
- Funds from city taxes have been appropriated for technology updates for the collector’s office.
- The five-year fee schedule for the clerk’s office was approved.
- Frontier Forensics was appointed as the county’s new medical examiner.
- Staff was delegated the authority to decide if the county should close due to poor weather conditions.
December Commission Update Meeting 12/17/2018
Courtesy Resolution and Legacy Awards
This meeting started with a courtesy resolution honoring Jim Hampton who is retiring from his position as the director of the Clay County Economic Development Council. Jim and Melinda Mehaffy both received legacy awards from the commissioners for their outstanding service on our boards and commissions.
Planning and Zoning
- An applicant wanted to switch the exact building site for their new home. This required some rezoning and was approved by the commission.
- Marvin Davis was appointed to the planning and zoning commission.
- There was a discussion about office realignment between departments
- There was a list of surplus items that were approved to be sent off to auction.
- An emergency purchase was approved. This had to do with a main line break earlier in the month that required immediate repair.
- A fund transfer for the prosecuting attorney’s retirement fund was approved.
- An ordinance was approved authorizing the issuance of amusement and recreation licenses for the county was renewed.
- The commission also authorized one of our legal experts to prepare a letter that explains the legal obligations for record retention.
- David Driskill was appointed to the board of equalization.
That’s it for this year’s commission updates Clay County. See you again in 2019!